Its chief objectives are to:
- Promote the participation of women on boards of directors and equivalent governing bodies of public entities and business organisations (including companies);
- Identify competent women and com pile a register of suitable candidates for posts on boards of directors and equivalent governing bodies of public entities and business organisations (including companies);
- Build the pool of female board members and role models;
Create awareness and publicity for the members of the association to help them get posts;
- Serve as a point of contact and referral for companies and the government;
- Provide training and support to directors and equivalent governing bodies of public entities and business organisations (including companies);
- Increase the transparency of the board recruitment process;
- Encourage pathways for women
- Liaise with international women associations having similar objects;
The importance of being part of WDM is the support that it provides to its members. This includes help with board strategy, board profile and interview preparation and personal introductions to experienced directors who can provide advice and encouragement in specific interview situations.
Promotion & Publicity Promotion
- Gender Equality in the Boardroom: Sunday Times of Malta 10th April 2016
- More women in the boardroom? Sunday Times of Malta September 2nd 2016
- Boards do better when women are aboard: Sunday Times of Malta September 2nd 2016
- Actions not just words: Times of Malta November 15th2016
- Women on Boards: Times of Malta March 6th 2017
- Participation in SME week 2018: Women In Business
- Women In Business Matters: Independent March 2019
- Meetings with Minister Dalli in 2017 & 2018 to press the case for women on public boards
- Meeting with sponsors to jointly arranging awareness raising events and inviting their clients
Government & other Committee Memberships:
Member of Ministry of Equality’s Consultative Council on Women’s Rights ( CCWR)
Louis Naudi, board member represents WDM. Chairs sub group on women directors in the public sector.
Established in November 2017 with the expressed intention of advising the Minister with recommendations on aspects of government equalities policy or any other policy issue as directed. A number of reports have been reviewed with comments made in particular the Governments intention to appoint a minimum of 40% of the underrepresented sex to public boards and companies.
Fiona Borg,a WDM board members is currently the Treasurer of emPOWer.
On the 4th April 2017, Her Excellency Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca President of Malta Emeritus brought together various women’s organizations in Malta, inviting them to form part of a Platform working in collaboration with one another, in order to have a stronger voice on issues impacting women in Malta.
In coming together under one umbrella, these organizations form emPOWer, a platform which will work to promote positive change and advocate to eliminate barriers to gender equality where these exist. Some of the areas that emPOWer worked so far upon are Gender Pay Gap, Women in Politics, Youth Education & Empowerment and Domestic Abuse.
The initiative is facilitated and supported by the President’s Foundation for the Wellbeing of Society. A link to the facebook page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/platformoforganisationsforwomen
Women in Power’-An EU funded project