Women Directors in Malta (WDM) ) is an active social organisation exists to help women make the right connections and to get to board level within their own company or to take on a non-executive board role and other board level roles in all sectors.
There are many different types of boards, all of which need directors or trustees, including charity boards, Public Sector boards and committees, housing associations, education and sports bodies, health boards- all the way up to public companies. However women are under-represented in all sectors; they are less likely than men to be asked to join a board and many lack information about how to.
WDM, as a non-profit making voluntary organisation, independent of all governmental, commercial or political groups, helps to bridge that gap.
Its chief objectives are to:
- Promote participation of women on boards of directors and equivalent governing bodies of public entities and business organisations (including companies);
- Identify competent women and com pile a register of suitable candidates for posts on boards of directors and equivalent governing bodies of public entities and business organisations (including companies);
- Build the pool of female board members and role models;
- Create awareness and publicity for the members of the association to help them get posts;
- Serve as a point of contact and referral for companies and the government;
- Provide training and support to directors and equivalent governing bodies of public entities and business organisations (including companies);
- Increase the transparency of the board recruitment process;
- Encourage pathways for women
- Liaise with international women associations having similar objects;
The importance of being part of WDM is the support that it provides to its members. This includes help with board strategy, board profile and interview preparation and personal introductions to experienced directors who can provide advice and encouragement in specific interview situations. Attending a workshop or event is not a one-off experience with WDM. This, aided with information from the WDM Resource Centre and commitment of WDM, will help you achieve your full potential.